Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dr H R R IYENGAR - prescriptions beyond imagination

Fortune favours the brave is a famous saying. In my case fortune smiles incessantly much to the chagrin of the persons who claim Providence has always meted out the worst to them. Most who do not know me would consider this either as an empty boast or at best treat it as a fount of positive thinking. It is for the benefit of these souls I would have to lead them throught some wonderful events in my life much to my pride and their envy (Sorry Onida I do not intend robbing you of your favourite tag line). The first occasion that comes to my mind is the benefit of being in the caring hands of a retired military doctor Dr. H R R Iyengar. This soul was a jolly good man with a wonderful sense of humour and presence of mind. He would appear at anytime of adversity and place his large palms on the forehead, laugh gingerly and say this boy is fine. The very presence of this bald man would strike terror in the hearts of the ailments.
In those days of my childhood fever would visit me with loving frequency. But the doctor would ensure that it did not remain an unwanted guest for long. The charges for such a cure would be 50 paise to one rupee and the man would say that he would collect higher fees in case I landed a good job.
On one of the occasions when my mother fell sick, he came on a home visit and told my father that he was unnecessarily wasting 50 paise. All one had to do when the womenfolk of the house fell sick was to enterprisingly enter the kitchen and rattle a few vessels or drop a couple of them. Lo and behold!!! the ailment would vanish and the energetic woman may even give the person a sound thrashing. After prescribing this medicine, he downed a hot cup of coffee.
In the days of Emergency, he was a regular visitor to my place. He would drop in after closing his clinic and on his way drop in to listen to the news. He had a golden principle of earning only to the extent of purchase power of coffee powder for the day. He was against any quick treatments and abhorred injections.
On one occasion when I had a fall, he gave me the option of the wound being stitched up or retaining a scar. I preferred the latter. Another doctor down the street had told that the fractured bone and the open wound needed a stitch besides a small surgery. More than three decades later, only the scar remains as a reminder of the man's capabilities. The fractured bone has healed. Wish one could present this miracle man to the present practitioners for a lesson or two.

No comments: